Monday, January 26, 2009

Random or Order......

I worked on the Butterfly quilt this weekend and feel I made some really good progress. Only thing is, I don't think its going to be enough to get done in time. Lucky for me, Jade is only a year old and won't know that her Great Aunt Shelly missed getting it done on-time. I've decided not to do shashing on it. More for the logistics it will take to quilt than anything. But I am still happy with how it will turn out. I just wasn't sure if I should just set them randomly or in some sort of order. After taking a pic of both ways, I like the random better. I do think I need to mix them a bit better but that can be done pretty easily. I also wasn't expecting it to be so big. I used 4 charm packs for this and it is going to end up a bit big for a toddler bed, a bit smaller than a twin. Guess Jade will get to enjoy it for years!


Random.


Ordered.

I done a bit of meander practicing on Dizzy since I am doing that on this quilt. Boy, I need more practice! Alex even came down and played on Dizzy a bit. He left when I broke a needle and it freaked him out. :-)

3 comments:

Sand and Sunshine said...

Beautiful! I like it random too. I played "blind quilting" with DD just the other day. I made a big giant "go fish" pile out of 7.5" strips and had her randomly hand them to me. I piled them together (and tried extremely hard not to change the order of anything, even if it was doubled) and then sewed a pioneer border out of it. It turned out exactly what I was looking for.

My daughter is three, last Spring while she was still two I gave her my first quilt - a twin size (maybe a bit small as a twin 56" by 80 something). I really like it on her bed because I put a couple of stuffed animals at the end and that keeps her from loosing the quilt off the edge of the bed in case she kicks it off while she's sleeping.

It's a beautiful quilt and will be wonderful when it's completed. Isn't it funny how others get sucked into what we're working on? I taught DH how to knit last week, and now he's better than me. Good thing he thinks he wouldn't be interested in quilting.

Shelly said...

I hear ya on showing others how to do something then they do it better. Alex is much better knitter than I am and Jacob is alot better at a meander on Dizzy. Darn kids anyway! :-)

Sometimes kids just have a better eye for what order things should be in. Adults tend to clutter their thinking of order with what others want. Good for Jessica helping her mommy do it right!

Lisa said...

Oh, I just love these squares! Too cute!